I’m a huge fan of black beans. I love black bean soup, I love black beans in burritos, and I happily eat them on their own or topped with a poached egg. Beans are healthy and inexpensive, so I whip up a batch of Crockpot Black Beans at least once a month.
This recipe is super versatile. Sometimes I dice up a jalapeno for extra spice, and I’ve used both chicken stock and beef stock with success. If you are vegetarian, vegetable stock would work well, too. You can add pretty much whatever spices you favor, and increase or decrease the red pepper to suit your family’s tastes. I’ve made this recipe with and without the bell peppers, and while I love it most with the peppers, it’s delicious without them, too!
For a main dish, top your Crockpot Black Beans with sriracha, cilantro, grated cheese, a squirt of lime, a poached egg, sour cream, green onions, tortilla strips or avocado. These beans are an excellent side dish, too.
You don’t need to soak these beans before cooking, which I absolutely love!
I’ve used both my 6.5-Quart Crock-Pot Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker and my 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker to make this Crockpot Black Beans recipe. If you are doubling the recipe, a 6.5 quart slow cooker will be big enough.
Crockpot Black Beans
- 1 16 oz bag dried black beans
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 cups beef stock (chicken or vegetable stock works, too)
- 3 cups water
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- optional toppings: hot sauce, cilantro, grated cheese, a squirt of lime, sour cream, green onions, avocado, or tortilla strips
- Rinse and sort black beans, removing any broken beans.
- Place beans in slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW 7-8 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and enjoy with desired toppings or as a side dish!