I love this Crock Pot Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup. Unlike chili or taco soup, which is really more like a dip you eat with a spoon, chicken tortilla soup is a soup. Sure, tons of toppings can be added to it, which my family LOVES, but if I’ve spent the past week eating pizza and drinking beer, I can feel good about my food choices by going easy on the toppings, and enjoying this Crock Pot Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup in all of its delicious glory.
My kids gobbled up this soup one night, and ignored it the next. This has nothing to do with the flavor of the chicken tortilla soup, but is mostly because they cannot be counted on to have any consistent opinions on food unless it’s candy, chips, or peanut butter and jelly. My husband liked it, too, but wished I would have chosen a cooler day to serve it. Who knew he wouldn’t love soup on a 90 degree day? (I did. I knew, but I wanted soup, so there.)
I used my 6.5-Quart Crock-Pot Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker to make this Crock Pot Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Crock Pot Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1½ - 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ TBSP ground cumin
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 10 oz bag frozen corn
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, or tortilla chips for garnish
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder.
- Top with carrots, corn, onion, and garlic.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6-7 hours, or on HIGH 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Return the meat to the soup and stir well.
- Taste before serving and add more spice if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and top with your chosen toppings!
3 thoughts on “Crock Pot Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup”
What is the tortilla part of the Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Tortilla strips can be added in or on top of the soup. The photo doesn’t show it because this is my serving, and I was trying to keep it lighter. My kids and husband used tortilla strips, cheese, and avocado on theirs.
How many servings do you think this makes? What is the serving size?