Sometimes I make something I just know my kids will love, and I’m congratulating myself on preparing a winner before dinner is even on the table. Sometimes, those kids of mine will decide before even trying that tasty dinner that they don’t like it.
It’s maddening, I tell you. MADDENING.
I tell them, “No, you like this! It’s so good!” Or I try some reverse psychology with the classic, “I’m glad you won’t eat it. More for me.”
Many times my eight-year-old son will come around after his obligatory three bite minimum, but his six-year-old sister digs in her heels and ends up eating whatever she can scavenge from the kitchen.
That’s what happened with this delicious and creamy Crock Pot Butternut Squash Tortellini. My husband and I really dug it, the boy resisted it initially, and the girl only let three tiny bites pass her lips. She’s missing out.
You won’t believe how amazing this dish is. I could eat it it for every meal, and maybe I have been. Using only 4 ounces of cream cheese, and light cream cheese at that, means this decadent sauce is way fewer calories than you’d think, and I can’t wait to try the butternut squash sauce over chicken, or on top of veggies.
I used my 6.5-Quart Crock-Pot Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker to make this Crock Pot Butternut Squash Tortellini.
Crock Pot Butternut Squash Tortellini
- 2 pounds peeled and cubed butternut squash (approx. 4 cups)
- ¼ tsp minced dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried sage
- ¼ tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 to 8 ounces cream cheese (light for fewer calories)
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- 1 to 1½ pound refrigerated tortellini, any flavor you like
- Place peeled and cubed butternut squash in slow cooker.
- Top with rosemary, thyme, sage, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat, and add diced onion and minced garlic cloves. Cook a few minutes, until fragrant, and transfer to slow cooker.
- Pour chicken broth over everything, and give it all light stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours, or on HIGH 4 to 5 hours, or until butternut squash is very soft.
- Add cream cheese in chunks, and stir until somewhat melted.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Using an immersion blender, blend sauce until smooth.
- Add tortellini and cover again, cooking on HIGH for about 30 minutes, or until pasta is to desired doneness.
- Top with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
Recipe modified from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
I made the Butternut Squash Tortellini today. It was absolutely heavenly! I used fresh sausage tortellini for my meat-lover boys. They were amazed when I told them what was in the sauce. This is a real winner for flavor, ease of preparation, and totally yummy flavor.
This butternut squash sauce is am-ah-zing. We lightened it up using the Greek yogurt cream cheese and cut it back to half, and it was still great. The sauce is extremely versatile – I even ladled some over my roasted cauliflower and it was like a rich, slightly sweeter cheese sauce. So good. It’s great with a simple cheese ravioli/tortellini and fantastic with a sausage version. The sauce will keep in the freezer – it just thaws a bit runnier than the original. This is going in my keeper file.
I LOVED this! Like I’m seriously considering rearranging my Top 5! It was easy, delicious and filling. My kids didn’t like it much but I think the color of the sauce turned them off. My husband and I thought it was perfect! I served with Italian sausage stuffed ravioli and thought it was amazing!!!
I’m in love with this sauce. I can’t believe how delicious it was, and I can’t wait to try it over chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus.