Yesterday the kids had no school, the rain and wind had me craving soup, and the butternut squash sitting on my counter was begging to finally be eaten. I have no idea how long gourds last, but it honestly feels like forever, and this one had been living with us for well over two weeks.
Do you ever see something at the grocery store that you absolutely must make? The fact that I can pull my shopping cart out of the way and do a quick search for recipes on my phone is both a blessing and a curse, and this modern day convenience is directly responsible for the Granny Smith apples and heavy cream that accompanied the squash home with me to be made into a creamy fall soup. By the time I got around to making this soup for Crock Pot Thursday, though, the original butternut squash soup recipe I found in my frantic grocery store Google search was only a memory. This version is partially a mash-up of a few other recipes and partially based on my own personal preferences.
I knew this soup would receive a lukewarm reception from my husband and kids, but sometimes I disregard their meat and potatoes ways, and make something just for me. This Crock Pot Butternut Squash Soup would be a delicious starter for Thanksgiving, or would make a hearty lunch with a crusty roll or salad. You can make it a vegan meal by using vegetable stock and coconut milk, and you can adjust the spices based on your tastes.
Fall is the perfect time for soup, and this creamy Crock Pot Butternut Squash Soup would look beautiful on a Thanksgiving table!
I used my 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker to make this Crock Pot Butternut Squash Soup.
Crock Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (or 2-3 cups baby carrots)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ tsp salt (more to taste)
- ¼ tsp black pepper (more to taste)
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of cayenne pepper (more for garnish if desired)
- ½ cup heavy cream (or coconut milk to make it vegan)
- green onions for garnish
- Place all ingredients except heavy cream in slow cooker, and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours, or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup to desired thickness.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and top with chopped green onions if desired.