My kids love pasta. My husband does, too, and this recipe is a family favorite. There are rarely leftovers, and that’s high praise around here.
This Crock Pot Chicken Penne Pasta is very adaptable. Chicken thighs can be substituted for the chicken breasts, and I’ve used pork chops or ground sausage in the past. If you don’t have penne on hand, most other kinds of pasta would work, too. I’m going to let you in on a secret: Sometimes, I throw in a jar of spaghetti sauce instead of the Italian tomatoes and tomato sauce. I’m crazy like that.
Use what you have on hand, and make this dish your own!
I used my 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker to make this Crock Pot Chicken Penne Pasta.
Crock Pot Chicken Penne Pasta
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 6 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 pound penne pasta
- Parmesan cheese and fresh oregano or basil
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top with onion, garlic, diced Italian tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, and basil. Stir to combine.
- Cover, and cook on low for six to eight hours.
- Cook pasta according to directions on box, ensuring they are al dente.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and add pasta to sauce. Stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken over pasta. Top with parmesan cheese and fresh basil or oregano.