Oh, you guys, have I got a recipe for you! These Cuban sandwiches are amazing, and I can’t wait to make them again. If you are like my husband, and don’t love pickles on sandwiches, don’t discount this recipe. Try it with the pickles, and you may be pleasantly surprised, much like the other adult in our house who shall remain nameless. The sandwich grilling step at the end is an absolute must.
Make this sandwich. Impress your family and friends. Eat a quadrillion calories and enjoy every second of it.
Crock Pot Cuban Sandwiches
- 4 lb. boneless pork shoulder (loin or butt work well, too)
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. coarse salt
- ½ cup fruit juice (orange, apple, even white grape works)
- Juice of two limes
- One onion, sliced
- ¼ tsp. ground red pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground yellow mustard
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- Ham slices
- Sliced Swiss cheese
- Loaf of French bread or hoagie rolls
- Place onion slices in the bottom of slow cooker, and add pork.
- Sprinkle with salt, oregano, cumin, red pepper, yellow mustard, and garlic.
- Squeeze lime juice on top, followed by fruit juice.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 5 hours.
- Shred pork inside slow cooker, allowing juices to be absorbed into meat.
- Spread mustard on the bread, and layer the ham on the bottom, followed by a serving of pork, topped with cheese, and pickles.
- Spread butter on top and bottom of the sandwich, and grill, with a sandwich press or a heated skillet, flattening the sandwich with a second pan.
- When the outside is crispy and the cheese is melted, the sandwich is done.
- The leftover pork makes excellent tacos.
YUM, YUM, yum, yum, yum… I really loved this one! I bought French rolls instead of a loaf in an attempt to manage my portions, but the sandwich was so good I promptly made myself another one. The pork flavors were perfectly balanced with the other sandwich ingredients. We slathered the rolls with Dijonnaise, which really worked well. Don’t pass up the pickles – they make the sandwich, in my humble opinion. I lightly sprayed the outside of the rolls with spray butter, which helped them crisp up perfectly in our panini grill. This one makes its way to the top of the recipe pile.
We also thought this was one of the yummiest, and flavorful recipes yet. We had these sandwiches for two dinners, then used the rest for pork tacos. The sandwiches were the best, and the dill pickles did make the flavoring complete. I used real butter and just pressed the sandwiches flat.
Our family thought these were good. I’m not a fan of pickles so I didn’t put them on and I still thought this was a definite make again recipe. I used the leftovers in tortillas with coleslaw and thought it was wonderful! Perfect flavor and an easy toss together recipe!
I used my 6.5-Quart Crock-Pot Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker to make this recipe.
Visit FunnyIsFamily’s profile on Pinterest.
5 thoughts on “Crock Pot Cuban Sandwiches”
I really feel like my hubby would want to marry me all over again if I made him this! ;)-Ashley
My recent post You Never Know Unless You Try
He'll at least buy you something pretty. Or even better…do the dishes!
My recent post Just Add Water: My Week Condensed 10/5/13
What kind if pickles did you use?
I used dill pickles, sliced.
trying this recipe out!