When I made this Crock Pot Tex-Mex Chicken last week, I was too busy stuffing my face to remember to take a picture. That meant I needed to remake it to get a photo for this post. Not one person in our family complained that we had the exact same meal two weeks in a row, and that right there is a positive review from my family.
This Tex-Mex Chicken is very versatile, and can be served over rice, in a tortilla, or scooped up with a chip if you are a renegade like me. It’s not very spicy, so if you aren’t feeding small mouths who hate a fiery mouth, have some fun for me and add some heat. If you are in the same situation I am, and can’t make things as spicy as you like because of your whiny kids, keep a bottle of hot sauce close and doctor yours up how you like.
I have a confession. I didn’t cut the chicken into strips before cooking it. I threw the chicken thighs in the slow cooker and just shredded them at the end of the cook time. I like to avoid cutting raw chicken if I can, and I’m a sucker for shredded chicken, anyway.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 2 Tbsp. (1/2 of 1-1/4-oz. pkg.) taco seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 3 dashes red pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 each green and red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 cup Mexican style shredded cheese
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker.
- Sprinkle flour, taco seasoning, red pepper, and garlic on chicken.
- Add bell peppers, onion, corn, and salsa on top and mix well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Top with cheese and serve over rice or in tortillas.
I used my 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker to make this Crock Pot Tex-Mex Chicken recipe.
4 thoughts on “Crock Pot Tex-Mex Chicken”
This would be a total winner in my house! I am currently cooking chicken in the crock pot as I type this! ;)-Ashley
My recent post Our Favorite “Rant” Ever!
Chicken in the crock pot is my favorite! But you already know that.
My recent post Crock Pot Thursday: Tex-Mex Chicken
Yeah. I have “retired” my trainer for the seaosn. I know Asheville is going to get 1 more snow before it’s over but I don’t care. I’ll buy a scuba suit. I am NOT doing anymore inside “rides”. Don’t worry. I have a PB addiction also. Thank God the GF started buying the Smart Balance stuff. i don’t feel as bad about it. Ever tried almond butter?