This week’s Crock Pot Thursday recipe is an adaption from Cookin with Super Pickle, and it’s a great summer roast. We served our sliced the first night, and shredded in tacos the next. Both were well received. You’ll need to be a planner for this one, as it has an overnight marinating step!
Slow Cooker Citrus Pork
- 4 lb pork roast
- 1 medium grapefruit
- 1 large orange
- 1 lemon or lime
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 medium onion
- Slice several shallow slits in the top of roast, and place in a ziploc bag.
- Cut fruit in half, and squeeze juice into the bag. Reserve rinds.
- Add olive oil, garlic, parsley or cilantro, salt, and pepper to the bag.
- Seal bag and turn until mixed and roast is coated.
- Marinade in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, slice onion and place in the bottom of slow cooker with about half of the rinds.
- Top with roast and marinade.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours, until roast reads 145 degrees.
- Remove and let rest ten minutes before slicing.
This was a great summer recipe. It had a very refreshing citrus flavor, and was so moist, it did not need gravy or sauce. I used cilantro and lime juice, instead of parsley and lemon. Yummy!
(Linda marinated her roast inside her Crock Pot liner. Because she’s a smart one, that’s why.)
This was very moist and it had lots of yummy flavor. I thought the grapefruit flavor was a little overpowering, this might be because I don’t like grapefruit. Next time I would use a small grapefruit… I served with green beans and mashed potatoes.
My husband loved this roast. He thought it was one of the most tender and moist slow cooked roasts he’s had. I didn’t care for the peels being cooked with the meat, as it lent a slightly bitter taste in some of the bites. Next time, I’ll zest the lemon or lime and the orange to add that citrus flavor without the overpowering bites. I’ll use the grapefruit juice, but not the rind.
I used my 6.5-Quart Crock-Pot Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker to make this Slow Cooker Citrus Pork.
One thought on “Crock Pot Citrus Pork”