One of my first blog friends was Meredith from The Girl Next Door Drinks and Swears. She and I started our blogs at the same time, and I love her work. She is smart, and funny, and she makes my crock pot recipes. Her most recent post is titled I Won’t Apologize for Being a “Mediocre” Mom, which is enough for me to love her forever.
She sent me this recipe that her family of picky eaters loves, and I was excited to try it. The original comes from Stacy Makes Cents, and that version includes 1/4 cup chicken broth. I used the broth, but I also used chicken thighs (which are more moist than breasts), so my finished product came out a little soupy. After shredding the chicken, I left the top off of the crock pot for a couple of hours, and the consistency thickened up nicely. Next time I make this, I’ll omit the chicken broth all together. My Crock Pot Thursday family members all used the broth and the finished products ranged from moist to a little too wet. It all depends on how moist you like your fajitas.
Based on some of the comments on Stacy’s recipe, I placed the veggies on top of the chicken so they didn’t get too soggy, and I added some garlic powder – I add garlic powder to pretty much everything. Meredith doesn’t use all of the cumin and chili powder so it’s not too spicy for her kids. I went for it and added all the spices and my kids were okay. Maybe because they got to put on their own fixings, so their fajitas were overflowing with lettuce, cheese, and sour cream; which may have taken the edge off the spice.
The meat was good, and the veggies were, too. My kids would rather have a truck parked on their foot than eat an identifiable onion or bell pepper, so they just had the meat. I served it with black beans and rice, and the kids cleaned their plates.
Thanks for this tasty recipe, Meredith. The whole family liked it, and it made great leftovers!
I used my 6.5-Quart Crock-Pot Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker to make this Crock Pot Chicken Fajita recipe. (affiliate link)
Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 TBSP cumin
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- Squirt of lime juice
- suggested topping ideas: sour cream, cheese, avocado, hot sauce, olives, green onions, and tomatoes
- Place chicken in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder. Give a squirt of lime juice all over the top.
- Place onion and peppers on top of chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours, or on HIGH 4 to 5 hours.
- When meat is done, shred it, and stir back into juices.
- Serve on tortillas with fixings of your choice. Some suggestions are: cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, hot sauce, olives, green onions, and tomatoes.