I have a confession. If you wrap anything in a tortilla, I’ll eat it with a smile. Many of our Crock Pot Thursday choices are a reflection of that love, like Pork Carnitas, Flank Steak Fajitas, Chicken Fajitas, and these Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Pork Wraps.
Sure, my affection for rolled up dinners may have impacted my feelings about these wraps, but they deserve the accolades. The ingredients are simple, but the flavor comes together perfectly. I loved the way the crisp cabbage blended with the sweet and sour pork, and the cilantro brings it all home.
When I told my husband what we were having for dinner, he was skeptical. I think he may have even said “Gross,” when I mentioned the cabbage. Dude was eating his words an hour later, which he chased down with a second helping.
This stuff can also be lower carb and lower calorie by spooning some of the pork over a bowl of cabbage, and topping it with cilantro.
You should make this. It’s a wonderful summer dish, and a fun twist on the typical tortilla toppings.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (about 3 lbs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) bottle sweet and sour sauce
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1½ tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- flour tortillas, warmed
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Place pork and onion in slow cooker.
- Combine water, chicken broth, sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, onion soup mix, ginger, and garlic in a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour bowl contents over pork and onions.
- Cover, and cook on low 6-8 hours, or until pork shreds easily.
- Shred pork, and cook another 30 minutes or so, allowing meat to soak up the sweet and sour sauce.
- To serve, place pork in a warm tortilla, cover with shredded cabbage, and top with cilantro.
New TOP 5 contender. For summer this is perfect! The flavors were great and adding a bunch of cilantro and cabbage to the top made it a great warm weather meal! I love cilantro! So, I added quite a bit to mine so I could taste it in every single bite! I bought shredded cabbage and carrot mix and it was so good! My husband came home for lunch the next day and when he saw hot dogs he said "I was hoping for that yummy pork stuff" That is a huge compliment to any meal since he has deemed most dinners not lunch food.
This was a great summer crock pot meal. I loved the ginger flavor, and the crunchy cabbage/ cilantro contrast. It was easy to put together, and the ingredients were simple, on hand items. We all really enjoyed these wraps!
This meal is easy to underestimate, but don't do it! The combination of the pork, the cabbage, and the cilantro is incredible, and I am honestly shocked at how delicious this stuff is. Do not skip the cilantro. Seriously, it's important.
Recipe modified from Taste of Home
[Tweet “These Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Pork Wraps are a great summer dish!”]