I was recently alphabetizing our Crock Pot Thursday picks, and oh, my goodness do we pick a ton of chicken recipes. But not this week. This week we do beef.
This Crock Pot Gingered Beef and Vegetables recipe comes from Fitness magazine, so those of you who have had it up to here with all the billion calorie recipes that we (mostly I) choose, feast your eyes on this healthy choice. Lots of veggies, not an ounce of cheese or a dollop of sour cream to be found. And, could it be? No butter?
Crock Pot Gingered Beef and Vegetables
- 1½ pounds boneless beef round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups loose-pack frozen sugar snap peas, thawed
- Cooked rice
- Combine beef, carrots, green onions, and garlic in Crock Pot.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 1 cup water, soy sauce, ginger, bouillon, brown sugar, and crushed red pepper, and pour over meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours or on high 4 to 5 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and the 3 tablespoons cold water, and stir into meat mixture along with bell pepper.
- Cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes more on high, or until thickened, stirring once.
- Stir in sugar snap peas, and serve with rice.
This was a really tasty and flavorful dinner. I used fresh snow peas--which were delicious, and so pretty. I served it over rice. It had just the right amount of a spicy kick.
This recipe was good, but somehow it was a little too spicy for the kids and a little too bland for the adults. We added extra spices to ours after serving the kids, and that helped. We served ours over rice on the first night, and wrapped in a tortilla with rice and black beans the second night. I really dug the snap peas.
I used my 6.5-Quart Crock-Pot Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker to make this Crock Pot Gingered Beef and Vegetables.