If you follow our Crock Pot Thursday series, you know we like chicken. We also enjoy bacon, ranch, and cheese. Oh, yeah, and potatoes. Because of this, it should come as no surprise that we are on our second chicken tater tot casserole in six months. And just like last time, this casserole was good, good, good.
My family was treated to this tasty recipe twice in one week, because I forgot to take a picture when I made it last Thursday. When it comes to recipes on the internet, no photo means no post. Sometimes if I forget to take a picture, which happens when I’m so excited to eat the food that I forget to photograph the food, I can call one of my family members to take a picture for me. But last week, I forgot to do that, too.
No one complained that we had it again. Because it’s yummy, that’s why.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into cubes
- 2 lb package of tater tots, divided
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheese, divided
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables, divided
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh or dried parsley flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the celery and onion in the butter until translucent. Add garlic and cook for a minute more. Set aside.
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray and layer ½ the tater tots on the bottom of a crock pot. Top with ½ of the cooked onions, garlic and celery.
- Sprinkle ½ cup of the cheese and ⅓ of the bacon over top.
- Next add the chicken pieces, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 cup of the mixed vegetables.
- Place another layer of ½ cup of cheese and ⅓ of the bacon over top.
- Layer the rest of the tater tots, and cooked onions, celery and garlic.
- Top with mixed vegetables, season again with salt and pepper, and cover with remaining cheese and bacon crumbles.
- Mix milk with dry ranch dressing seasoning mix and pour over top, and add parsley.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours.
This meal was yummy! I accidentally missed the milk and ranch step and didn't even realize it until I started to write my review! I'm sure it would have tasted more like Tater Tot Casserole with the creamy sauce... ours tasted like a hash brown type breakfast casserole. We would make this again for sure. Super easy and great for the whole family!
We loved this recipe as well. It smelled yummy, and tasted just as good. Our mixed vegetables were peas, corn, beans, and carrots-which added good color.
We really enjoyed this one! It's not fancy, just a big pot of comfort food goodness. Our mixed veggies consisted of peas and corn, which I thought fit in really well. This is by far my favorite recipe in which we've used tots or hash browns. I really could have done some serious damage to the remaining half left in our crock, but restrained myself so we would have plenty for tomorrow.
We all liked this. What's not to like, really? I don't know if it's better than our previously reviewed Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole, but it is a tiny bit healthier because of the veggies. All of the layering annoyed me, but that's just because I have a hard time focusing on multiple step directions, and because I like to talk on the phone when I'm cooking. I really need to stop doing that.
I used my 6.5-Quart Crock-Pot Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker to make this recipe.
Modified from Michael at Key Ingredient.