I have a very important Crock Pot Thursday announcement!
What’s that you say? It’s not Thursday? That’ll to have to be okay, because days of the week are not as important as the fact that Thanksgiving is next week, and I just discovered that mashed potatoes can be made in the slow cooker! These Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are so delicious, I actually prefer them to regular stove top taters, and I could not wait to tell you.
Here’s the deal, you guys. I have a special Thanksgiving edition of Crock Pot Thursday planned for two days from now, and I might even do one more food post this week, since I’m having a hard time thinking about anything but Thanksgiving-type food.
Fun fact: I think about food quite a bit.
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lb baking potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup butter or margarine, cut into chunks
- 1½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ to 1 cup half and half
- Place potato chunks in slow cooker.
- Add garlic, chicken broth, and butter.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or high for 4 hours.
- When potatoes are tender, mash them until blended, but don't overmix.
- Add sour cream, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in half and half until potatoes are to desired creaminess.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
I used my 6.5-Quart Crock-Pot Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker to make these Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes.
Top these tasty spuds with turkey gravy from the lovely Leslie Marinelli. I don’t mean she’ll come to your house and bring you gravy (Don’t bother asking her. She always says no.), I mean if you click on that link, you can see her famous gravy recipe that isn’t really hers but is actually from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen. Her version has more detail and also way more swears. It’s better, is what I’m saying.
Really, you could make an entire Thanksgiving feast using slow cookers. Click the images below to see the recipes!
[Tweet “The slow-cooker mashed potatoes will knock your socks off!”]