I know today is Friday, but I guess I was distracted yesterday by the story of Lily’s broken noggin, and I totally forgot it was Thursday. Luckily, this is only week two of Crock-Pot Thursday, so I’m sure no one went hungry yesterday waiting for this recipe.
Last week the Crock Pot Thursday crew cooked up these Fast Slow-Cooker Pork chops, modified from Skinny Fat Kid. I shouldn’t have to tell you how much I love the name of that site. I was excited about this recipe because I had everything on hand except the wine. I’m always happy to buy booze, especially when only a little is needed for cooking. My husband doesn’t usually drink wine (unless the beer’s gone) so I get the rest to myself!
Why, you may wonder, would anyone want to have a fast slow-cooker recipe? This kind of dish is great for days when we have early evening activities, like soccer or cub scouts, and dinner needs to be ready as soon as we get home. I can start it when we leave the house, and by the time we get home, get changed, and get the table set, dinner is ready. There aren’t many meals we have in our rotation that have a two hour cook time, and everyone around here likes pork chops.
I used 3/4-1 inch thick bone-in chops, and cooked them on low for five hours. Four hours would have been better. My mother-in-law cooked hers on high for two hours and hers turned out really well. That’s what I’ll do next time. The sauce was good, and this meal got a thumbs up from both the adults and the kids at our table!
If you aren’t into mushrooms, skip them. This recipe is great either way!
I used my 6.5-Quart Crock-Pot Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker to make these Fast Slow Cooker Pork Chops.
Fast Slow-Cooker Pork Chops
- 4 pork chops (about 1 inch thick), trimmed of fat
- 6 or so oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 clove minced garlic
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup red wine (I used a nice Shiraz)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Brown pork chops in skillet on both sides, and add to slow cooker.
- In the same pan, saute mushrooms for a few minutes, and add in the garlic. Saute 1 minute longer, and transfer to slow cooker. Add in soy sauce, wine, brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Cook until brown sugar is dissolved and add to slow cooker with chops.
- Cook in slow cooker on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- Remove pork from slow cooker. Combine cornstarch and water and stir into slow cooker. Return chops and cook for another 30 minutes until you have a nice, sticky sauce.
- Serve with sauce drizzled over chops.